If you are trying to eat gluten-free, these homemade gluten-free sweet potato chocolate brownies are the perfect substitution for boxed brownie mix. They are dense, fudgy, chocolatey squares of goodness. These gluten-free sweet potato chocolate brownies are delicious!
Ever since I started seeing a holistic doctor and nutritionist, the way I eat has changed dramatically. You can read my original story about that HERE and how changing my food, changed my life last Fall.
While I now primarily eat whole foods, I do treat myself to a sweet treat occasionally – but always try to make that treat in a healthier way than typical boxes treats from the grocery store.
Today I tried making sweet potato brownies.
I’m not big cake eater. But thick, gooey chocolate brownie batter is one of my weaknesses.
Rarely does a full batch of brownie batter make it into the pan to be baked. I just love the uncooked batter.
And if the brownies are cooked, I love when they’re super fudgy.
That’s probably why I love these sweet potato chocolate brownies.
They ‘re somewhere between a dense cake-like chocolate brownie and a piece of pure chocolate fudge. A small square will easily satisfy your chocolate craving!
And your entire family will enjoy them (without ever knowing you made them using sweet potatoes).
I’ve linked the ingredients below so you can easily add the exact ingredients I used to you Amazon cart. Just click on the highlighted ingredient.
- 1-1/4cup Sweet Potato puree (see instructions)
- 1/2 cup (no sugar, no flour) almond butter
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 cup gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
- 1/8 to 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
Note: this brownie recipe contains nut butter.
- Prepare the sweet potato puree by wrapping a large sweet potato in aluminum foil and baking in the oven on 350 degrees F for 60 minutes, until soft. Let cool. Slice the potato in half and scoop out the potato with a spoon. You will not need the skin for this recipe.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sweet potato puree, almond butter, coconut sugar, vanilla, and avocado oil. Mix thoroughly until smooth.
- Fold in 1/2 of the mini chocolate chips.
- Add the cocoa powder, sea salt, baking powder, and flour to the wet ingredients and mix into a batter. If the batter seems too dry (because the sweet potato may have been slightly smaller than the one I used), then add a little more avocado oil.
- Line an 8″x8″ square or 8-9″ round baking pan with parchment paper. Using a spatula spread the batter evenly into the pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top.
- Bake on the center rack at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Let cool. Slice into 2-inch squares and enjoy!
- Store in the refrigerator overnight. They’re even better the second day.
Here are a few other supplies you may need:
These gluten-free sweet potato chocolate brownies are delicious on their own and would also be amazing with vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links to products I love and use myself.