It’s a very cold, very rainy day here in New England. A Nor’easter is blowing through and the wind has been howling for the past twenty-four hours. I spent the morning painting the antique sideboard and petite dresser I told you about earlier this week. Can’t wait to show you how they’re coming along.
It’s also a perfect day for homemade soup. My favorite is Sausage & Kale, not only because it’s spicy and delicious, but because it’s a one-pot meal that takes less than 10 minutes to prepare!
- 32 oz. Chicken broth (low sodium variety)
- Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage, chopped (I use pre-cooked chicken sausage)
- Kale or Collard Greens, finely chopped
- Roseamary (a few sprigs of fresh or about 1/2 tsp of dried)
- 1/2 bag of frozen peas & carrots
- 1 can diced tomatoes (plain or seasoned with basil, oregano, etc.)
- 1/2 cup barley (optional)
Bring to a slow boil, then simmer on low until the kale is soft. Approximately 20 minutes. If you add the barley, simmer a bit longer until the barley is soft.
Serve & enjoy!
Yes, rosemary is the only spice you’ll need to add. The sausage flavors the soup.
The original recipe called for pork sausage and beans. I’m not a fan of beans so I replaced them with the peas & carrots and the chicken sausage is a healthier option.
Remember to follow this blog by email or on Facebook to receive new posts as their added.
Thank you & Enjoy!